Thursday 14 March 2013

Childhood Heroes

"He's still practicing!"
.
.
.
Two girls peeking into a dark basement would exclaim. This was a TV ad that showed a young man working on his stroke-play all by himself. I don't quite seem to remember what the brand was. But I've always admired the man.

Rahul Dravid. I won't begin without accepting that I had a man crush on him, and probably still do. Where Cricket was religion and Sachin was God, I was busy practicing square drives in the grounds of Lucknow. And that square-cut! Trying hard to exact it. The feet movement, the back-lift, the swing of the bat, even the tenacity on my face. And sweating as much! Sigh.

That square cut.
So immense was my admiration that it became visible in my timid game, as friends started appreciating my off-side game, coupled with my tendency to getting stuck on the crease. Needless to say, I considered that to be the most important skill of the game. And among other things, nothing beats pineapple jam over brown bread, yet!

I was busy collecting those "Britannia runs" before the 99 World Cup. And then that London coaching obsession! Just watch this ad, Britannia, HOW CAN YOU NOT? :P Swastha khao, tan-man jagao! Ting-ting-titing ;-) Thank You, Prahlad Kakkar!

His game was always class. For ODIs in late 90s and early 2000s, when only openers and pinch hitters were expected a strike rate of 100+, he maintained his game of building the innings in the middle overs. I mentioned strike rate because that was a time when 280 was a very winnable score. And 280 means run rate of 5.60. Later when the game changed itself and 300 turned too common, he took charge an started pacing his innings towards the end.

This catch against Pakistan still gives me goosebumps. Fans pick Jonty Rhodes for his fielding, but I found it all in my favorite cricketer. One of the best fielders at slips, his reflexes were perfection. If anyone recalls the couple of brilliant catches at the position against the Aussies! Oh!

Dravid, 191.
Only ever a controversy that took shape around this man was the ball tampering case in Zimbabwe in 04. That too, he never made a comment, and his coach and captain distinguished it as "an honest mistake". I believe them. The other being Sachin's 194 not out. Dravid was the stand-in captain for Ganguly, and the innings was declared right when the Master was on the verge of reaching a double hundred. People say it was competition, some say they it was Ganguly who prompted from inside the dressing room(he was visible from the glass). I always say I'll never understand. It was the first time Sachin reacted in a press conference, claiming he was shocked. I always look at Dravid's reaction after he got out for 191. He certainly knows what a double hundred means, as much as any other batsman. That was a sad incident, reasons behind which we'll never know. I'll willingly forget this.

T20 was a form he didn't play much. And as much as I dislike the (too)short format, I'm glad he didn't. I just pray this format does not ruin the attractive game.

As Hayden stated, "All this going around is not aggression. If you want to see aggression on cricket field, look into Rahul Dravid’s eyes"
BA DUM TSS!

On this day, 14th March, Dravid and Laxman got involved in the greatest partnerships of all time, 12 years ago.


387 minutes, 357 runs, no wicket!

I love this headline! It was a turnaround post a follow-on. It was a turn around for Indian Test Cricket, which the dejected media rejected as "ghar ke sher". I couldn't have managed a better date to lay my hands on the book I was craving for since last seven-eight months!
Timeless Steel. Proud owner!
In the times where the Sachin-s and Messi-s are worshipped, brilliant as they are, I've always been inspired by the Dravid-s and Gerrard-s. When he played his final match in international cricket on my birthday last year in January, I've felt blessed. I know, obsession alert! :P Anything, Jammy!

"When you play for 16 years, you will face highs and lows. There have been many disappointments and great highs. There is a huge sense of satisfaction that I have always given it my best shot. I have left no stone unturned in trying to become the best cricketer I can become. Absolutely no regrets"

2 comments:

  1. awesome facts..i have always felt confused when asked about my fav cricketer,there have been too many n dravid is a part of that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many favorites, same for me! But then there were heart-breaks, like Ajay Jadeja! And decline like Agarkar. Besides, Dravid is man crush stuff, no replacements, ever :)

      Delete